IARA Executive Director
Greetings and best wishes for a strong used vehicle market this spring and summer. Although volumes are down, the prices are higher and the conversion rates are higher. The remarketing industry continues to be a dynamic marketplace.
A recap of recent IARA happenings and events are as follows:
1. What a great success the joint CAR/IARA/NAAA Zone Conference was March 3rd/4th at Caesars Palace Hotel in Las Vegas. Attendance was close to 850 with everyone agreeing that this will be the number one annual remarketing conference to attend going forward. IARA’s 25% of the program session featured two notable keynote speakers and two industry pertinent panels.
2. IARA keynote speakers were Don Foy, Manheim Drive, and Waldek Raczkowski, Ford Analytics. These presentations will be posted on our website soon. Our thanks to Don and Waldek. Also thanks to Mike Linn, Executive VP and CEO of NIADA for moderating the vehicle sourcing panel. In addition, Tim Martin, LeasePlan USA, and Dan Heinrich, Americredit, along with Bob McConkey, Chair, NAAA Standards Committee, held an informative discussion about possible standardization of the 30 or so Consignor Certification Programs in place at auctions. This is an effort to streamline the buy/sell transaction.
3. The IARA Circle of Excellence Award Luncheon honored Stuart Angert, former CEO and founder of RSA, and early pioneer of IARA. Dave Alfonso, Kia, and IARA Awards Chairman, presented the Award. Stuart was also honored for his myriad of volunteer work and support to the Greater Buffalo area business and medical community. His award presentation will be on our website in the press release section.
4. The IARA is pleased to welcome four newly appointed Board of Directors Kevin Brown, Servnet; Rob Wagner, Hyundai Capital America; Dan Heinrich, Americredit; and Joe Mappes, ABC. Virgil Matczak, ABC, treasurer, is leaving the Board and will be replaced as treasurer by Jeff Bescher, Adesa. We wish Virgil the best of luck in his future endeavors.
5. Several people took the IARA Certification tests while attending CAR/IARA/NAAA. There are 42 people who have signed out courses and 25 actively testing for Certification. We expect another 6 to 8 people will become Certified by our August 10/11 meeting in Denver.
6. Our thanks to Manheim’s John Blobner and staff for recently reviewing the IARA Certification course content and recommending some upgrading. We will continue to upgrade the courses as necessary.
7. The IARA Board has also recently endorsed the NAAA National Arbitration Policy. Several Board members were instrumental in suggesting changes and new provisions in the policy. The IARA encourages all its members to adopt the new policy.
8. The IARA Summer Roundtable will be held August 10th/11th, in Denver, at the Hyatt Regency Downtown Convention Center Hotel. Registration information will be on the website soon so mark your calendars. The room rate is $165/night. The Education Committee is beginning to develop the panel topics for the sessions so all suggestions are welcome. Please send them to me at email@example.com.
The Alliance continues to address issues to enhance the remarketing industry and your continued support is appreciated. Looking forward to seeing everyone in Denver.
Best personal regards,
International Automotive Remarketers Alliance